[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) LM

In a message dated 12/31/99 3:36:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rendrag@earthlinkdot net writes:

<< In estimating the limiting magnitude by counting stars in the known star
 squares and triangles,  do you count the   stars that you can only see
 by averted vision?>>

You count *all* the stars you see without optical aid. Don't forget to count
the corner stars as well.

 <>

While you can get master charts from the IMO for only $4, what I did was to
transfer the areas onto a cheapie star atlas. I use Bright Star Atlas from
Wilmann-Belle (sp?). What I also do is to look at the LM count for 5th
magnitude and put that count number into the area next to the area number.
Having the count will keeps me from doing an unusable session. You have to be
honest with yourself tho not to count an extra star (or two) in to make a bad
night countable.
Also on the Atlas I tranferred all the radiant paths making it a very usable
book while doing my reports.  Hope this helps (and made sense).

Kevin K