[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Y2K BUG

At 16:46 01/01/00 PST,:

>I don't know but your email came to me on Mon, 01 Feb 1999???
>>From: Jure ZAKRAJSEK <elizabeta.zakrajsek@guest.arnesdot si>
>>To: meteorobs@jovian.com
>>Subject: (meteorobs) Y2K BUG
>>Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 18:08:59 +0000

Yes, and now I see that also ! Well spotted Roger :-)

A bit ot I know, but as things are a quiet just now
may I forward my little panic when my 486 fell out of
the sky ! It may help someone to de-panic ! :--

My old 486dx2-66 rolled over to 2000 OK but when switched off and
then restarted it had regressed to 1980.
The cure was simply to boot into DOS and enter DATE & TIME
in this new century.

Is seems that the problem was that the current DOS clock rolled
over OK but not the CMOS copy(master?), or the CMOS was(is) not
updated by DOS perhaps. At the restart DOS obtained its current
clock from the (wrong) CMOS.
However the DATE and TIME entry at the DOS prompt wrote the CMOS
correctly and seems ( pray for me folk! ) to be OK now.

For anyone still on win3.11wg on old 486's there is a bug in
FileManager for which MS have a fix ( also there is a version
for 3.1, they are different fixes )
I am told that MS say win3.1 cannot be made y2k compliant,
but I have not yet found any other problem in 3.11wg ???

Happy New Century to you all.
Malcolm,
SW England.

Follow-Ups: References: