[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Magazine's meteor showers 2000 table in error

In Astronomy Magazine's "Explore the Universe" issue for 2000,
on the pages for May 2000 there's a table of a few major meteor
showers for the year.  It appears to me that the table has
incorrect information on the phase of the Moon and "prospects"
for every shower listed!  On the same page, their specific Moon
phase calendar for May and listing of Eta Aquarids correctly
contradict the table of meteor showers!  It also has "poor" for
tonight's Quadrantids due to a gibbous Moon....

I feel sure they will correct this to the extent possible, but
I thought it worth mentioning since it's possible that for some
members of the public their only source of "what to see in the
sky" for 2000 might be this issue of Astronomy, which of course
is (or was) available on newsstands -- where I bought mine.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA
http://wwwvms.utexasdot edu/~ecannon/meteorlinks.html