[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Quads in SC

Lucked out tonight on the eastern side of a large band of clouds coming
in from the west.  Northcentral South Carolina

Had to move three times, going further east, as the clouds were
following me.  Finally settled down at 12:15am EST (0515 UT).  Thin veil
of clouds.  LM at 12:15 was 4.3.

Clouds saw fit to give me a very nice hole around 12:45am.
Approximately 30% of sky was obscured to the north and west..  However,
LM 6.0 in the rest, held steady until 1:45, then clouds finally took
over.

12:15-12:45   4 Quads      est. magnitude 3.0
12:45-1:15    14 Quads....1 fireball in the South...slow, very long
trail, at least -4, lasted for 4+ seconds
1:15-1:45        6 Quads....sky is starting to close up, high wispy
clouds, then thicker    LM remained 6.0 until 1:45
2:30                  saw one likely Quad, flashing thru Orion, with
very thick clouds that  nearly completely cover the sky.

Not the 200/hour that I fantasied.  However, Geminids were clouded out,
so a good time was had. This is my first time to actually SEE the
Quadrantid shower in 15 years.  I'll be back.

Please forgive my humble report.

The Skies will Again Clear,

Chuck Urrey