[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) QUAds 2000 from Big Tujunga Canyon Dam, CA

Didn't intend to report this, but thought the sharp
drop off in QUAds after midnight (PST) last night
would be of interest.  Also it shows the necessity of
being better prepared.

The light pollution is getting noticeably worse with
time at this viewing area. All the meteors observed
were of faint magnitude.  Those that were QUAds were
slower, brief train, and had a distinct silver
sparkle. The sky LM was about 3.5 to 4.0 this night.
At times I could count 7 stars in Ursa Minor.  My
viewing spot is West 118o 12' 30", North 34o 16' 30"
at 2950 ft elevation.

--- Jodie <ruizj01@Pacesetter.COM> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How was the shower?
>
> Jodie

Last night before turning in I noticed how good the
viewing conditions were, and at the last minute,
decided to go up my canyon to a viewing spot above the
dam at 3000ft.
Saw one on the way up.  Saw one while
opening the gate.  Saw another two while setting up my
laFlume' recliner and sleeping bag.  Saw a sporadic as
soon as I sat in my chair.  The wind kicked up so I
decided to get into my sleeping bag.  Don't know how
many I missed while getting myself situated in the
bag. Got situated quite comfortably and saw 3 more
over the next 9 minutes.  Then nothing for the next 9
minutes.  Another 24 minutes and still nothing.
Meanwhile, the wind from the NE was blowing directly
into my eyes which made me blink frequently.  I
speculated whether I was missing the meteors while I
was blinking.  I couldn't stop blinking.  On one
particularly long gust of wind, I blinked too long . .
. . . and fell asleep.

I arrived at the observing area at 11:50PM PST.  Last
meteor was observed 27 minutes later at 00:17AM PST
Wed. 01/04/00.  I awoke at 02:30AM.  Twenty minutes
later and still no meteors.  I departed for home at
02:50AM.  No meteors observed on the way home.

Got home and checked my email and read some posts from
back East and in Westen Europe that seemed to show
that the predictions were right on.  I should have
taken my own advice to Cindee and gone out to look
much earlier in the evening.

Hope Cindee and her group had better luck,
Bob V.