[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) streetlights in the cold....

 I remember reading an article in Scientific American about pollution
that may "shed some light" on the question at hand. The article was
about pollution in the arctic regions. It's premise was that cold dense
air had a greater holding capacity for airborne particulates.
A study was done of the average distance a mountain range could be seen
from over the
past 40 or so years. I am recalling this after maybe 10 years so it
might not be exact. Anyway, they compared photographs of the mountain
range from the past to current ones. The difference was remarkable. In
the new photos you could hardly see the mountains that had clearly been
visable in the photos taken 40 years ago. They claimed that the cold air
was acting as a "pollution sink", suspending it in the air like water
would suspend silt. I realize that this effect would be proportional to
the angle at which it is viewed. How does this jive with any of your
experience?