[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Weather

Robert Gardner wrote:

> Since cloud cover is so important to us in meteor observing, is there
> any satellite images that will show the cloud cover?  My weather service
> I receive from my internet provider, Earthlink, gives satellite images
> which show no cloud cover at all.  This I don't understand.  The Doppler
> radar is pretty much a repeat of the satellite photos.  All
> astronautical photos show lots of clouds.  My maps are provided by:
>
> http://www.weather.com/weather/maps/index.html

Robert,

I dont know where you are located, but here in California I use several
sources of satellite images, that show cloud cover well.

The main NOAA GOES sat server (national) is at:
http://goeshp.wwb.noaadot gov/

The 3km/1km resolution visible for the western US is at:
http://www.wrh.noaadot gov/satellite/1km/satmap.html

2km IR for California is at:
http://www.wrh.noaadot gov/satellite/2km/Hanford/IR2HNX.GIF

Hope these help.