[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Lynx activity Jan 04?

Hello Mike,

> I should have mentioned in my first post, that there were another 2 or 3
> meteors which I classified as SPO, that seemed to come from the same
> radiant in Lynx. I remember I had a difficult decision on how to

ok, that's more than just two meteors and makes the case more interesting.

It's a good sign if the activity is confirmed by other observers. But even
then it's most important to plot the meteors. During the Quadrantids, for
example, you do no need to plot every meteor (you would miss ways too
much activity), but only those who are not Quadrantids, if you suspect
unusual activity from a certain point in the sky.

A statement like 'I saw a few meteors from Lynx, too' may sound like a
confirmation of your working hypothesis, but it's not as long as you do
not pin those down and really check whether they come from the same
suspected position in the sky and have the expected speed. There will be
almost every night one or more sporadic meteors from the Lynx region if
you only watch long enough.

Unfortunately, the sky was completely overcasted here in Germany since
December 22, but last night was clear and my video camera was running for
10 hours. I'll check tonight whether there were meteors that line up
with the position given by you.

Best regards,
Sirko Molau

PS: Sorry if my replies sound a little rude, but you really have to be
very careful when analysing minor showers. If their activity is well below
the sporadic level, you need many observers and much observing time to
really make sure that a shower is real. Unfortunately, too often people
claim a new radiant after a few 'suspicious' meteors they have seen, which
cannot be confirmed by others.

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *