[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) First meteor plots of the New Year! (GRALE, 05/06 Jan 2000)

2000 being a difficult year for major meteor showers, I chose to rededicate
myself to plotting the minor showers and collecting Sporadic rate data this
year: to get that commitment off to a rousing start, I "stayed up on a week
night" last night with the express purpose of getting in some meteor plots.
(Meteor plotting is the prefered method of recording when rates are low.)

Michael Aramini and I braved 17oF temperature and light breeze at the ATMs'
Westford Clubhouse during a two-hour meteor session last night, both of us
with great results! Mike did his first (highly successful) plotting attempt,
using the IMO Plotting Charts to plot two meteors, and to explore the bounds
of 10 Constellations with the unaided eye. He is commited to trying his hand
at plotting again at the soonest opportunity - hopefully this weekend!

I plotted 17 meteors under LM 6.1, Teff=1.55 from 05:30-07:20 UT - not bad!
Highlight for the night were two lovely long Quadrantids of mags 3 and 3.5,
each of which we both managed to get down on our charts. I have not reduced
my plots yet but approximate numbers for the night are 2 QUA, 2 DCA, 1 COM.

Clear skies all, and maybe we'll get to see some of YOU out under the stars
with just a clipboard and lawn chair some time this year!

Lew Gramer