[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) streetlights in the cold....

Message text written by INTERNET:meteorobs@jovian.com
>I have to say I'm surprised by the interest my childhood curiosity has
sparked here.  I'd love to hear about why the suspended crystals are flat
and why they prefer to lie horizontally.  Meanwhile, a big thank-you to
everyone who has provided his/her input into solving this (for me) mystery!
<

Have you seen the details in the book 'Rainbows, Halos and Glories by
Robert Greenler - Pub Cambridge University Press ISBN 0 521 38865 1 ?

There are a number of pictures of 'sun pillars' from artificial lights as
well as a detailed explanation of the causes. It would appear that the air
temperature has to be low enough to cause the formation of very small
crystals rather than Snow Flakes. Apparently Antartica is a good place to
study the phenomena.

John Murrell