[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball? [02:50UT 06 Jan 2000, Southern New England, USA]

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 18:17 EST, Jeff Gibbons <Jgibleuler@aol.com> wrote:
>Lew:
>Did anyone see the meteorite which crossed from East North East to West South
>West last nightat 9:50 pm ? Wow! It was the largest "trail" I've ever seen. I
>was going to come home at a reasonable time and go out but I stayed late at
>work and was just walking up to my front door whe I looked up to check
>conditions. The trail was about 3 full moon widths long.

Hey, Jeff! I was out with a group at the ATMs observing site in Westford that
night. Most of us were at the eyepiece or in the clubhouse at the time you
mentioned, I didn't start meteor observing till after local midnight. But if
this object were as bright as you suggest, some of us would almost certainly
have noted it! Would you estimate your sighting as brighter than Jupiter?

Anyway, as with all possible fireball sightings, I strongly encourage you to
take the time to submit a report to the global Fireball Data Center at:

    http://www.imodot net/fireball/report.html

Hope to see you at the meeting tonight!
Lew Gramer