[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Off topic - charitable star purchases

Felix et al -

Thought I would reply to this star naming thing... seeing as how you
appended my 'Merry Christmas' meteorobs note to the end of your inquiry! 8>

Most of the groups out there doing this are in it just for the money - they
have no right to claim a star is named after you.  They just collect the
bucks for themselves.

However... there are some observatories and science centres (at least in
Canada) that have decided to do something along this line as a charitable
fundraiser.  One of these is Queens University in Kingston, Ontario, which
has been using funds from star 'purchases' to upgrade its telescope
facilities.  Purchasers can pick a star to 'buy' (stars keep their own
names), get a nice certificate in that regard (for themselves or as a gift
for someone else) - and a Canadian tax receipt for income tax purposes.  The
receiver of the certificate gets a novel gift... knowing that it is for a
charitable cause.  It is made clear that the star 'purchase' is not really
'real', but for worthwhile fundraising.

So... do not write off all the groups who do this.  Some do represent the
truth, and use this as a unique astronomical fundraiser.

Clear skies,

- Cathy Hall
  Ottawa, Canada