[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Plotting radiants

Jure,

The anthelion radiant source (opposite the sun) is currently in the
constellation of Cancer. Therefore the current radiant for these meteors
is known as the Delta Cancrids. The radiant moves eastward at
approximately 1 degree per day and will not reach the constellation of
Virgo until March.

So there are two ways to look at this; the actual Virginids, with a
radiant in Virgo, does not start until March. On the other hand the same
activity that produces the Virginids is active year-round and currently
is in Cancer. So I would not wait, watch now and see the exact same type
of activity that is visible in March!

It is interesting to follow this radiant this time of year as it marches
through Cancer, Leo, and Virgo. Rates and velocities are the same
throughout this entire period. This radiant is also a good source of
fireballs plus is usually the only radiant that is above the horizon for
evening observers.

Clear Skies!

Bob