[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NASA Space Science News

Dave English wrote:

> As one of the 150,000 subscribers to NASA Space Science News that
> received 6 million visits in 1999, I believe that some organized pressure
> should be applied to the top rung of the bureaucratic ladder once we
> understand that the remaining public information flow does not meet our
> expectations for all of the monetary assets given to these closed research
> institutions. The government should insure the free dissemination of the
> research that's not of a secret nature to the public, and the WWW is the
> best means to achieve that goal while  NASA Space Science News has been
> the appropriate vehicle.
>
>        At the top rung is President Clinton and VP Al Gore, who has a close
> working relationship with NASA. The main problem is gaining their
> attention because of the vast amount of mail and messages they receive, but
> Al Gore has a special feeling for both the web and NASA and education too, so
> we could be in luck despite his busy skedual.  A decision from a working
> group on who to contact so the message will be seen by those we intend it
> for,  and how to make the contact may be in order if NASA can't get the site
> or something as good and informative back on line for the free flow of
> scientific research information, not only to us in the states, but for
> interested people and youth around the world.
>
>                                                      Dave English
>                                                      Oceanside, California

Dave,

Your suggestion sounds very intriguing. As for the best point of
contact, I think it should be NASA administrator Goldin, whom I know
from prior professional association. I have his direct contact
information, as well.

I am preparing a personal letter to Mr. Goldin, addressing this issue.
Let me know what your thoughts are on how best to present it. I am
considering, either this one letter, co-signed by me and everyone we can
recruit from this list; or possibly selecting a representative subset of
key individuals from IMO, AMS and Meteorobs to send individual letters
or email to him. In the latter case, we should definitely coordinate how
many letters we will send as a group, to maximize our impact.

I believe Mr. Goldin represents the best point in the bureaucratic
ladder from which to effectively get our message across.

I am looking forward to receiving feedback and strategies for this
proposal, either on Meteorobs or privately.

Sincerely,
Mike Linnolt