[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Belated Quad Report from S. Carolina

At the urging of Kim Youmans, ;) I finally got around to listening to my
tapes from earlier this month. I have never caught the Quadrantids
completely clear, so with that prospect looking good, I began observing on
Jan. 2/3 at 0430 hours UT (2330 EST) which was shortly after the radiant
rose. Although skies were clear, conditions deteriorated rapidly as fog
began to develop. I got two complete hours in (0430-0630 UT/2330-0130
EST)and a part of a third hour before the fog reduced the LMs below 5.0 at
which point I quit observing. In these two hours, I only saw 2 QUA, 1 COM,
and 7 SPO.

The following morning, Jan 3/4, was also clear, but again suffered from fog
so I was only able to get three complete hours in, again when the radiant
was low. Beginning at 0440 hours UT (2340 EST) I recorded 4, 12 and 20 Quads
along with 1, 1, and 3 COM, as well as 12 sporadics over the 3-hour period.
Both nights the LM ranged in the low 5's.

So my first "clear" Quadrantid peak ended up a little disappointing as I was
expecting to see quite a few more than I actually did.

Mark Davis