[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Message from New News from NASA

Comments from New News from NASA: Hi list!
Something new at NASA. The homepage will not be closed for the moment!
Philipp Schmid
P.S.: A friend told me that he would like to subscibe tó this list, but I have forgotten how to do so. Could someone help me please? Thanks.

This article was forwarded to you from space.com -- http://www.space.com

 NASA Space News: Not Dead Yet

 A popular NASA web site, Space Science News, which apparently got the ax on
Friday, has a new lease on life, though agency officials are looking for ways
to cut costs.

NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, where the web site is produced, is "looking
to do it less expensively," Peggy Wilhide, associate administrator for public
affairs at NASA headquarters, told space.com on Monday.

"This site is costing a million dollars a year to produce," she said.

Wilhide said Marshall officials are looking at various options and the site
"is not closed down." But, she said, "it is not being updated for a brief
period."

Wilhide said John Horack, who ran the site and is also an astrophysicist at
Marshall, still has a job at the facility, as do other scientists involved in
the web site.

In an e-mail announcement sent Friday, 150,000 subscribers of a newsletter
related to the site were told: "The NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center will no
longer support the production and maintenance of the http://science.nasadot gov
site, effective 10 January 2000."

The letter, signed by Horack finished with this: "Thank you for your
readership over the past three years." The site is at http://science.nasadot gov.

http://www.space.com/space/nasa_site_000110.html