[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Dec. 26 LA fireball

Hi, list:

I know this is somewhat old news, but there's still some discussion about it.

Back at the end of the year there were some media reports involving a meteor seen from Lafourche Parish in far southeastern Louisiana, near the towns of Larose and Cut Off.  They reported a fireball seen moving west to east around 7:55 PM Central Standard Time on December 26.  A piece was seen to break off, and some suggested that was responsible for a marsh fire about a mile long just northeast of Cut Off.  During the last week of the year, I was contacted by several people looking for information.

There were other reports of a bright meteor that night, one moving roughly south to north at about 7 to 7:30 PM CST.  I found first and second hand reports of that ranging from the small town of Jennings, Louisiana, to the area around Pensacola, Florida, and throughout southern and central Mississippi and Alabama.  There has been some discussion on meteorobs lately about an object seen from Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and that seems to have been this object.

Two such fireballs within an hour of each other seemed like a lot, and I suspected they were really reports of the same object.  That's what turned out to be true.

The time of 7:55 PM from the Lafourche reports turned out to be the time logged by the sheriff's office when they were getting calls, not the time of the meteor.  The times reported to me by the observers I spoke with were shakey, but it looks like the observations were indeed more like 7 to 7:30 PM.  The object seen there was in fact not going west to east -- they all agreed it was going from south southwest to north northeast.  It was described as brighter than Jupiter and about the brightness of Venus, pretty consistent with the reports of the other object.  I'm absolutely convinced everyone was looking at the same thing.

The piece that fragmented appeared to do so only 10 to 15 degrees above the horizon as the object was moving away from Lafourche Parish, and is clearly not responsible for the marsh fire.  The sheriff's department there indicated that marsh fires are not very unusual, and have a number of different causes.  One observer noted that it was a windy night, and that the wind is what blew the fire eastward for about a mile.

I thought it might be possible that the object was re-entering space debris, but I no longer believe that to be the case.  There were three Russian re-entries expected for December 26/27, but none of them fit the bill.  I think this was your basic natural fireball, visible from over the Gulf of Mexico, going approximately across the Mississippi Delta region, and then over Mississippi or Alabama.

I, of course, missed the whole thing.

My thanks go to Alan Pickup in Edinburgh, Scotland, for the information regarding the satellite re-entries, and to the many planetarium curators, amateur astronomers, and list members who I contacted about this.

Dave