Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:07:26 +0000
From: Alastair McBeath <mcbal.gwyvre@virgindot net>
To: imo-news@egroups.com
Subject: [IMO-News] Call for reports, bolide over UK, 2000 January 9

Brilliant bolide over UK, January 9, 2000.

Attention all observers in and near the British Isles on January 8-9.

Reports are coming through of a brilliant bolide seen about 01:50 UT
(the exact timing is uncertain) on January 9 passing across northern
England/perhaps southern Scotland. One more detailed report from near
Leeds gives an approximate track crossing through Aur, Cas and ending in
Cep, almost due north, and notes acoustic rumbling was clearly heard
shortly after the event. Around the same time, my father was woken by a
thunderous rumbling at Morpeth, Northumberland, which I slept through
(typically), which we suspect by its timing was from the same bolide.
The rough south-west to north-east track from Leeds would put us about
in the firing line down-trajectory of any sonic effects, and there are
also reports from County Durham as well. Anyone who saw or heard the
event, or knows of  anyone who did, is invited to send a report with all
speed. All will be very welcome.

Alastair McBeath,
SPA Meteor Section Director
E-mail: vice_president@imo-net

To unsubscribe from IMO-News, send a blank message to