[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Activity for the Week of January 14-20, 2000

The moon reaches its first quarter phase on Friday which means that it
is in the sky during the entire evening. The situation becomes worse as
the waxing moon sets more than an hour later each night. By Wednesday
the 19th less than an hour remains between moonset and the onset of
morning twilight. One can see that viewing early in this period (this
weekend) is the only way to avoid skies spoiled by moonlight.

By moonset this weekend the Delta Cancrids will be well placed for
viewing. This radiant is currently located near  8:24 +20 which is in
central Cancer, just west of the "Beehive" star cluster.  Delta Cancrid
meteors are of medium slow velocity and often produce fireballs. You can
expect to see perhaps 1-2 of these meteors each hour this time of year.
This past week I witnessed rates of only 1 shower member in 3 hours but
then again I was facing east away from the radiant so there were
probably several shower members that went unnoticed out of my field of
view.

The Coma Berenicids also continue their weak activity. The radiant is
currently located at 12:56 +15 which places it in the constellation of
Virgo very close to the 3rd magnitude star Vindemiatrix (Epsilon
Virginis). This radiant rises just before moonset this weekend and is
well placed in the southern skies toward dawn.  The Coma Berenicids are
very swift meteors which may produce 1-2 shower members per hour during
the last few hours before dawn. This past week I witnessed 2 shower
members during 3 hours of observing with the radiant in the extreme
right side of my field of view.

Observers in the Southern Hemisphere can view the two previously
mentioned showers plus the Alpha Crucids. This radiant is currently
located at 12:48 -63 which is just east of Acrux, the star at the base
of the Southern Cross and also the brightest star in that constellation.
The Alpha Crucids produce medium fast meteors that are a bit faster than
the recent Quadrantids but slower than the well known Perseids.

Sporadic activity should be near 10 meteors per hour this week as seen
from rural, moon-free skies.

One last note is a reminder not to miss the total eclipse of the moon
this coming Thursday evening/Friday morning January 20/21. North America
has the best view of the eclipse but it is also visible from South
America and the western portions of Europe and Africa. While the lunar
surface is usually still distinctly visible during totality, the sky is
many times darker allowing the Milky Way and meteor activity to be seen.
I have seen many total lunar eclipses and more often than not I have
also seen a meteor or two while admiring the scene.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford
AMS Visual Coordinator