[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Anti-solar radiants & More

Tom & All,

As Jim Richardson indicated the anti-solar radiant produces medium speed
meteors that are visible all night since the radiant rises at sunset and
sets at sunrise. They are of medium speed because they encounter the
Earth from the side (a perpendicular angle) as they head in toward the
sun.

Meteors from the apex tend to be very swift as they are colliding with
the Earth from a head-on position. This is much like the scenario for
the Leonids which have a radiant very close to the apex in mid November.

Also remember that Jim mentioned that meteoroids with direct motion that
are caught by the Earth would also appear to radiate from the apex but
would be of very slow velocity since both objects are traveling in the
same direction. I do not recall seeing any of these slow meteors from
the apex but it certainly would be interesting to keep an eye out for
these meteors!

Lastly, I classify all of these meteors as sporadics but also note in my
"comments" column that it was a meteor from the apex, anthelion, etc.

Clear Skies,

Bob