[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Death Valley Fireball

------SNIP!!------
> just wondering.
> Sincerely
> DEAN BESSEY

Forget about Antarctica.
We just had a very bright, very large fireball occur
over the northern end of the Death Valley! (The
current temperature there is 60 degrees ABOVE zero;-)
At app. 9:56PM PST, while traveling north on US395
(before Lone Pine but after passing Owens Lake) my
sister-in-law witnessed "a very bright, greenish, ball
of flames descend down to the ENE horizon in the
general direction of the Racetrack Playa, or Stovepipe
Wells, or maybe as far away as Beatty, Nevada!

She said that the fireball didn't make it to the
horizon, but "broke up half way down" [actually, she
probably means ~20-30 degrees above the horizon] and
was quickly extinguished.  They didn't stop the car
and get out, so no sonic boom was heard by them.

It would be very interesting if sonic booms were heard
between their location and Beatty, NV.

She immediately called me on her cell phone ~10PM PST!
I had notification within 10 minutes.  After checking
out the maps for that area, I composed this message,
and now, within the hour of the fall of this "Death
Valley Fireball", this List is being notified.

Hoping to hear of more reports, soon.

Bob "B*C"