[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) formations

At 06:55 PM 1/14/00 -0600, you wrote:

As a novice observer I witnessed a V formation seven ghostly disc like
objects each spanning about a half degree of sky. They traversed 120
degrees of sky in about 6 seconds. They made no sound and left no evidence
of their passing. I was 19 years old and trying to assimilate what I was
seeing into something acceptable and only coming up with UFO. At the last
moment of this time span I heard a faint bird sound. This allowed me  to
identify them as a flight of Snowy Egrets fairly common to the area. Their
wings and neck were not as efficient at reflecting light as their bodies
thus yielding the disc shape. Six more years of various astronomical
observations in this area did not repeat the experience. It was one heck of
an adrenelin rush though.
Tom

You gave interesting values so I tried out some numbers:

Suppose the 1/2 degree represented say .3meters.  Then the distance to the
objects would have been about 35 meters.  Therefore 120 degrees would
correspond to about 75 meters.  To cover that distance in 6 seconds the
objects would have been traveling at a rate of about 12 meters/sec.  Seems
pretty close to a nice bird speed to me.  Nice!!

J Wray