[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: AKM video observations 12/99

Robert Lunsford wrote:

> Let me take the liberty to answer for Sirko as I have seen his system in
> action. This program not only records a video image of the meteor but
> also records accurate data such as time of occurrence, apparent
> magnitude, shower association, and angular velocity.
>
> As stated in the notes from Sirko, the 35 mm F2.0 lens has a 40 degree
> field and can record meteors down to 5th magnitude.

I understand that any intensified CCD can record down to 5th magnitude -
this is a piece of cake - I've heard Sirko state this before.  But the
trick is in the automatic analysis as it is very easy to totally BURY
yourself in hours and hours of tape that you have to watch to extract
any information from.

As I stated in my previous message - it's my understanding that the
Metrec software can only log Magnitude 1 and brighter meteors.  If this
is correct then I pose the question what is the justification under
utilizing the intensified CCD?  A low light security camera can easily
see down to magnitude 2 or better.  If the software only detects mag 1
and brighter then there is no need to use a $2500 gen three intensifier
with it.

Also, I don't understand how a shower association can be tagged onto a
meteor occurrence if it's radiant (or orbit) isn't being calculated.

It seems to me that without a radiant or orbit all of the other data
isn't very useful.

Maybe I misunderstand the full capabilities of the meteor camera systems
and clarification by Sirko would help clear things up.

-Cary

Follow-Ups: References: