[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Tri-satellite formation..

This inquiry was sent to the list:

> my husband and I both observed three points of light in an
> elongated triangle moving quite fast across the western
> sky.  [...]
>
> Can anyone shed some light on what we may have seen?

Several have mentioned the NOSS satellites.  From what I've
read, there have been two programs of triangle formations;
I'll call them "old" and "new".  The old ones are faint and
almost always require skilled use of a telescope to be
observed.  The new ones are observed at one-power by
accident from time to time and in such a case almost always
make a great impression.  Meteor observers -- ahem,
meteoricists (why not "meteorists"?) -- might see them by
accident more than any other group due to watching dark
skies using "eyes only".

There are some articles about them on a couple of Web sites.
On these sites, the old ones are called "NOSS", and the new
ones are called "SB-WASS" (Navy; SB-WASS US Air Force is
something else):

Federation of American Scientists:

 http://www.fas.org/spp/military/program/sigint/
 http://www.fas.org/spp/military/program/surveill/noss.htm