[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V3 #269

>In a message dated 1/17/00 10:59:55 EST
>Skywayinc@aol.com writes Re: (meteorobs) Newspaper Meteor Article:

>Kim . . . you are partially correct.  After re-reading the article more
>carefully, he attributes the "100 per second" to 1833.  Still . . . a >number
>far too excessive than the oft-quoted 50,000 - 100,000 per hour for that
>particular display.

I'm not sure how anyone would count 100 per second, but in 1966, from a strictly
amateur point of view of the Leonid shower, it looked to me like every star in
the sky was exploding into a cluster of meteors at every instant, everywhere I
looked.  This was for a 45 minute period at about UT 0900, I think.