[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) limiting magnitude

hi all,

> asaf wrote :

> > I always thought that the highest limiting magnitude

> > is 6.5, but after hearing observations of different
> > members on the Meteor Observing Mailing List, I'm
> > interested on knowing- what IS the limiting magnitude,
> > and who decided it's 6.5 magnitudes if it's not?

"exceld77"wrote

> > The answer is a lound and clear NO! Most, if not every
> > meteor observer has experienced LMs better than +6.5
> > I actually have no idea where that +6.5 figure came from,
> > but from my experience LM +6.5 is in the 'good' range,
> > with +6.8 and better being excellent.
> > LMs change during the year. Because during summer, there
> > is much more water vapor in the air, they will be lower
> > (this possibly depends on where you live and what your
> > climate is like). I've found that LM of +6.5 is very good
> > during summer, but in winter LMs may go down to +7.0
> > At my site anyway... ...ask Norm and he'll probably have
> > different numbers...
> > I should point out, however, that I'm talking about LMs
> > in places far from the city and artificial lights. Near a city
>
> > LMs are way lower than +6.5!
> > Anyway, that's what I think... ...let the Great Minds of
> > Meteorobs tell the truth :)
>
> Clear skies!
>
> Jure A.

usually, when i observe the leonids, or the persieds, or any other
shower, masimim LM is ususally ranging from 6.0 - 6.3 i and my
friends at JAS could not go higher than that except once , where
we reached as i remember 6.4 or 6.5, and we were amazed of that.

i will try to goi out once or twice, just to estimate max. LM by
counting as possible the IMO triangles., by this only, we can get
"newrly true" max. LM.

it worth trying anyway.

yours

khaled