[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: Meteor observation from January 2nd

------- Forwarded Message

From: "Philipp Schmid" <schmidphilipp@hotmail.com>
To: meteorobs@jovian.com
Subject: Short notice (off topic) and meteor observation fromJanuary 2nd
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 12:44:59 CET

Hi list!

Jure wrote:
>Forget buying stars! Someone should sell clear weather...

I would buy it in an instant. I have been on this list since the
Leonids last year. But everytime I wanted to watch a shower it was
impossible. The Leonids were above big clouds, the Geminids too. On January
the fourth was the same. I think the weather gods have something against me.
All the nights before January 3rd were totally clear. Than January the 3rd
and 4th were 100% clouded. On January the 5th it was clear again, but I did
not have time to see if there were some meteors left from January 4th.
Now a kind of report from January 2nd (this is not scientific, cause there
was not much to see and I do not really know how to compare the magnitude):
Observing time:  18.50 UT - 19.30UT and 21.30UT - 21.50UT
Meteors: 5
The first was at 18.55UT going from nearly north to south. At 19.05UT was
the second one going the same direction and both had a magnitude around
+2-+2.5 The third meteor appeard at 19.14UT heading SW and was less bright.
The 4th came at 19.28UT heading WSW. I astimate it had a magnitude around -4
or more, because it was brighter than all stars and a lot brighter than
Jupiter. It had quite a long tail and the color was some kind of deep
orange-red. The corpus of it looked like as it would divid, because in the
middle going from the front to the back there was a black line.
The fith meteor I observed at that day came around 21.45UT and was a quick
and short one heading very high from NE to SW. The magnitude was nearly the
same as the third at 19.14UT.
Location: near Siena, Italy
Have a good weekend and clear skys to all.
Philipp Schmid

------- End of Forwarded Message