[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) (Fwd) Eclipse/Perth Road

    Despite a broken-to-overcast layer of high and middle-level cloud cover,
I was able to get some good views of last night's/this morning's total lunar
eclipse from my home in Levittown, Long Island, NY.  The storm that produced
a rather modest (1.5 inch) snowfall during the day on Thursday, moved just
far enough out to sea to allow the skuddy low overcast that prevailed for
much of the daylight hours to gradually thin-out during the early evening.
The full Moon began to appear shortly after 7:30 p.m. EST as a bright,
diffuse ball of light about halfway up in the eastern sky.  By 9 p.m. EST, it
was still rather diffuse, but the lunar maria was now becoming evident enough
to recognize with the naked-eye.  At 9:45 p.m., as I headed into my garage to
haul out my 10.1" Dob, I could readily see the smudge of penumbral shadow
across the Moon's left rim.

    The skies from first umbral contact (10:01 p.m. EST) right on through the
end of totality (12:22 a.m. EST) were certainly not the best for eclipse
viewing.  Much of the time, the disk of the Moon appeared rather soft and
diffuse, thanks to the prevailing mid-to-high cloud cover.  In addition, some
lower clouds would pass on by nearly obscuring the view entirely.
Nonetheless, despite these handicaps it was obvious as the eclipse progressed
that this was going to be an unusually bright one.  The eclipsed portion of
the Moon was readily visible both with the naked eye and binoculars through
the waxing partial stages; the umbra has no discernable color until just
after it had reached about halfway across the Moon's disk.  Then a very faint
reddish coloration began to appear.  At 11 p.m. EST - roughly four minutes
before the start of the total eclipse - much of the umbral shadow was glowing
distinctly orange in color.

    This was my tenth total lunar eclipse and likely this was the brightest
of the ten.  I say this only because of the fact that there were times that
the totally eclipsed Moon was always visible, even during those intervals
when it was amidst a thicker layering of cloud cover.  There were other times
when the clouds thinned enough to reveal a beautiful bright mottled copper
red ball; the upper part of the Moon appearing a dark brown coloration while
a bluish-white cap appeared on its lower rim.  It reminded me of two total
eclipses from childhood:  April 1968 and February 1971.  And indeed, it was
very different from the more recent total eclipse of December 1992 (which had
a very dark, almost "sooty" appearance) and the total eclipse of November
1993 (which was brighter, but yet lacked significant color).  Unfortunately,
due to the unfavorable sky conditions, any Danjon estimates of the brightness
of the eclipse perhaps would not have much in the way of validity.  Yet, I
would strongly suspect that if I had a perfectly clear sky, this would have
easily been an L = 3 eclipse . . . perhaps even approaching the top of the
Danjon scale (L = 4).

    At 12:05 a.m. EST, I was craning my neck, looking at the Moon as it
crossed my southern meridian at an altitude of 69 degrees above the horizon.
No total lunar eclipse had appeared as high as this one since January 7,
1852!  Around this time, looking at the totally eclipsed Moon through
binoculars held backwards as it shone through a layer of mid-level "schmutz"
I estimated the Moon's magnitude at roughly
-2 to -3.  Unfortunately, there were only three stars that I could use for
comparison (Sirius, Procyon and Capella).

    Soon after the Moon came out of totality, the clouds thinned out to a
degree where, details appeared very clear and much sharper than at any other
time previously.  Using the 10.1" at 45x, for instance, I could easily see
the ray system of Tycho, as well as other prominent craters such as Grimaldi,
Copernicus and Archimedes; most maria were also evident within the umbra as
well.  The coppery coloration remained visible until 12:50 a.m. - especially
when I placed the uneclipsed portion of the Moon outside the field of view.
Lastly, I could see the inner portion of the penumbra as a dusky band
bordering the umbra.  The penumbra had an apparent width of roughly one-third
of a lunar diameter and had smoky brownish coloration.

    I halted my observations before the end of the umbral phase, soon after 1
a.m. EST for two reasons:  First, a rather large cloud mass moved in from the
west and likely would obscure the view of the Moon for quite some time
thereafter.  Secondly, the northwest wind began to pick up noticeably around
this time.  As there was a wind-chill advisory posted and the temperature was
already hovering around 20 degrees (F.), I decided to call it a night,
thankful for seeing as much as I did despite the passage only a few hours
earlier of the first snowstorm of the 2000 winter season!

-- joe rao