[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Death Valley Fireball

> Since the time was so close to Bob's report, I thought I would add
> this possibly related information on the matter. Sounds like there
> could have been a large meteoroid stream.

Even if you are unsure of a fireball sighting, folks, try to report
whatever information you can: if you have EITHER a definite time OR a
definite sky position, and you are sure the event was BRIGHT, I think
the fireball-chasers always welcome reports - even incomplete ones.
And note that fireball reports which do NOT result in meteorite finds
are just as important to meteor science as those which do!

Here are various appropriate URLs for fireball reporting...
    The main *global* IMO report form is on-line at:
        http://www.imodot net/fireball/report.html

    Or if you prefer, for the US try AMS's form:
        http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireballs.html
    Or in the US if you'd rather fill out a paper form:
        http://Web.InfoAvedot net/~meteorobs/fireball_form.html
    In Canada, please use this form:
        http://dsaing.uqac.uquebecdot ca/~mhiggins/MIAC/fireball.htm
    For more "unusual" or uncertain reports - especially in Europe:
        http://home.wxsdot nl/~dms-web/fireballs/fireball.html

BTW, Elton is NOT suggesting above that he might have seen the SAME
fireball in NE Pennsylvania as Robert Verish saw in Death Valley CA:
that would be geometrically impossible. (Remember, maximum separation
between two observers for the same meteor is about 2300km.) Instead,
he believes that two fireballs on the same night might indicate the
presence of a bright meteor shower ("large meteoroid stream").

Note that I doubt these two fireballs WERE from the same stream: most
fireballs reported are NOT from any shower, but rather are "Sporadics".
Obviously, there are very rare exceptions, like the 1998 Leonids! :)

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer