[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Lunar eclipse wipeout.

   My wife Lynne Gilliland and I saw the Total Lunar Eclipse from Greenbelt,
Maryland. It was clear, but the wind was blowing the recent snow, which stung
our faces as we watched, and created a wind chill of -10 degrees F. I watched
the eclipse with 8X50 and 12x63 binoculars, as well as with the naked-eye. The
best view was with the 12x63 binoculars. It was a pretty bright eclipse, and I
estimated it to be L=3 on the Danjon Scale. It was interesting to notice the
rotation of the brighter section of the Umbra around the bottom of the Moon as
the eclipse progressed. The color of the brighter outer Umbra had a yellowish
tint, while the deeper Umbra was more of a brick-orange, or copper color. The
ray system of Tycho was clearly evident with the 12x63 binoculars. I looked
on and off for any meteors during totality, but didn't see any. It was a one
of the brightest eclipses I remember, except for maybe the one in 1961 and in
1968.

GWG