[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Ice, Methane, and Odors in Meteorites

Yes Tom, I suppose you are correct.

I was talking to another list member about odors in meteorites.  In light of
your knowledge, and my failing memory I defer to you.  I misspoke-- methane is
odorless.  Most methane occurrences on earth; animal flatus, oil fields, and to a
lesser extent marsh gas, and coal mines have a lot of aromatics associated with
the methane so we wrongly perceive "methane" as having a odor. In fact we have
to add a marker odor to it for safer use in heating.   Methane in a pure from
would also likely sublimate directly to a gas and little would be left in an ice
ball to study!

There have been some meteorites which had strong aromatic hydrocarbon odors upon
falling.  Most Notably was Murchison in Australia in 1969.  Uncapped specimens on
a warm day still emit this curious odor more reminiscent of fresh asphalt.  I do
not recall what it's total chemical analysis is at present  but I'll look into it.

Regards,
Elton

> From: "Tom Fleming" <enders_gt1@prodigydot net>
> Subject:  ice