[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Lunar Eclipse

The clouds here in North Central Arizona cleared off to the
east just as the Lunar Eclipse began.  We sat outside and
watched it get covered up.  It was in the 50's here -- not
unpleasant weather for being outside.  It was a very bright
night at first but we watched the landscape grow darker and
darker along with the moon.  More and more stars began to
pop out of the sky, too.  Orion was out at first but by the
time the moon went dark Orion had so much competition up
there that he was harder to find.  The moon looked closer to
me.  I also thought that it looked smaller than usual and
that it had a more 3-dimensional appearance than a full moon
does.  I didn't realize just how much of it was still going
to be visible or that it was going to have a reddish-brown
hue.  I didn't expect to still be able to see the craters on
it -- rather, that it would be gone or look like a hole in
the sky.  I had never seen a lunar eclipse.  It was
wonderful to witness it.