[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Lunar Eclipse

----------
> Od: Philipp Schmid <schmidphilipp@hotmail.com>
> Za: meteorobs@jovian.com
> Zadeva: Re: (meteorobs) Lunar Eclipse
> Datum: 23. januar 2000 19:52
>
> Hi Mary and the rest of the list!
>
> >The moon looked closer to
> >me.  I also thought that it looked smaller than usual and
> >that it had a more 3-dimensional appearance than a full moon
> >does.
> When the moon looks closer, how can it look smaller?
Loosing weight :)
Ok, seriously... First the apperance of being smaller. This may have
 been caused by the reduced glare of the moon. During the final stage of the partial
umbral eclipse, with only a small crescent still being fully illuminated,
the crescent really stood out and even appeared bigger. I fully agree
with Mary, that the moon may have looked smaller.
The 3-D apperance (which I didn't notice) may have caused by
the different colors and darkness of umbra. Moon looks like a
pancake while fully and evenly illuminated, but different brightness
levels on different areas may produce such an effect.

Clear skies!

Jure A.