[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) mapping dust trails

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies to my previous questions,and for making me feel
at home :)

Something else  I have been puzzling over...

 From what I understand ,we now have a pretty good idea of the structure
and locations of
some cometary dust trails ,notably those giving rise to the Leonid showers.
As far as I know,the vast majority of the data which has enabled our
understanding comes from terrestrially based projects and observations...

I'm curios as to wether there are any plans to map and perhaps investigate
the trails in detail
by a probe launched and equipped with sensitive radar ? (..or would the
particles be to small and defuse for radar to map accurately ?)

Seeing as we pass right through these trails on a regular basis ,the
logistics of a mission like this (although still enormously complex) would
be simplified by being able to launch in such close proximity to the
objective,making it a worthy candidate for further investigation, would it
not ?

clear skys,

                     Leo

Follow-Ups: References: