[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Where did the meteors go?

Hi Phillip,
   Out of curiosity, do you observe on the outskirts of a large city?  It seems
to me you may be experiencing light pollution even though you're traveling out
for a thirty minute ride.  Why not do some star counts to determine your
limiting magnitude? Bring along a buddy to do the same.  Compare each others
LM.  This might help resolve whether or not the problem is light or even your
own individual perception.  Also remember that rates will be quite low before
12:00 A.M.  If you happen to be observing, say, from 7 - 9 P.M., you probably
will get really low rates.  Factor in a bit of  light pollution and you'll see
practically nothing, I'm sure!
   Other things that might help: Don't face the zenith, or the horizon when
observing (you'll see fewer meteors but for differing reasons).  Try to face
about 60-70 degrees up from the horizon.  Also, since much of the sporadic
activity originates at or near the ecliptic, face south, SW, or SE.  Hope this
helps!
Kim Youmans