[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Zodiacal light

Lew Gramer wrote:

> Mike Linnolt wrote:
> >I have an excellent view of it from here in Hawaii, and I will attempt
> >to get some good wide angle shots of it in the future, but it is
> >difficult to photograph, due to its diffuse nature.
>
> Mike, you must be in a prime observing spot for frequent observation of the
> Zodiacal Band and Gegenschein, too! How often and how well can you see these
> features from Haleakala? They are often visible from the few remaining dark
> places in the Florida Keys, but from this far north (Boston MA USA) I have
> rarely seen the Gegenschein, and almost never seen the Zodiacal Band...

The Gegenschein is visible fairly often from the summit of Haleakala,
but is still faint enough you have to use averted vision to see it as an
approx. 15° diameter glob. I generally dont look for it much, so I can't
say if I have seen it for sure from other dark places, like Mauna Kea or
White Mt. in California.

The Zodiacal band I am not so familiar with, and I MAY have seen it the
one time I saw the Gegenschein quite brightly from Haleakala, as a thin
line of glow passing along from horizon to horizon thru the Gegenschein.

Next time I go up there, I will make an effort to verify these again.

Best Wishes,
Mike Linnolt