[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Zodiacal light

Lew Gramer wrote:

> BTW Mike, where is White Mountain exactly? I don't recall hearing of it.
>
> Take care,
> Lew

White Mountain is east of the Owens Valley, close to the border of
California/Nevada, near Bishop, CA. (The Sierra-Nevada range is to the
west of this valley, and includes Yosemite National Park). It is an
extremely remote site, with excellent dark skies, and high altitude (The
summit is 14,249'), best known for its ancient Bristlecone Pine forest.

The only facility there (WMRS) is a unit of the University of
California, and supports research in areas of high altitude ecology,
physiology and geology. There is an observatory building with dome near
the summit, but it is not currently in use(?!). Complete information on
the site can be found at :

http://www.wmrsdot edu

I was up at their Barcroft facility (12,470') last August for the
Perseids meteor shower. One of my astrophotos, attesting to the
excellent observing conditions up there, is at the site:

http://www.corvus.com/perseid99.htm

If anyone is interested in visiting there for observations (wintertime
not recommended! ), let me know and I will supply you with the
appropriate contact information.

Mike Linnolt.