[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Limiting Magnitude

Lew,
  Actually, I thought I'd wind up putting my foot much farther down my throat
than I must have in my reply to Asaf!  I do indeed recall reading that star
counts should come from at or near zenith, but let disinformation from another
source overide what was only a vague recall.
   The truth is, I'd rather use zenithal areas only for the exact reasons you
state...the ease in counting. Besides, if I can count areas at and near zenith, I
come up with higher LM's, which gives me a small motivational boost to get out
there and observe.  And I'm certainly glad you "called" me on it, else I would
have continued counting stars on the horizon!
   But I must admit that haven't always counted three fields like I should.
During my first year out, I simply have not wanted the "work" to spoil the
"enjoyment," knowing that in time I'd be more familiar with all the (usable)
fields and their star patterns.
Kim Youmans