[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet, 13/2000 - 31 January 2000"

With regard to the forwarded message below I thought that pieces of a
meteorite fell at Bovendy in Northern Ireland in 1969. I have an interest
in this as I saw the fireball in southern England and it was bright enough
that a friend & I first noticed it as we had developed Green Shadows !

With regard to the delays due to the lack of a Customs Decleration I wonder
what you put as the 'Country of Origin' on the form ?? :-)

John Murrell

Message text written by INTERNET:meteorobs@jovian.com
>picion that some part of the meteor would have survived."

So, Mr Elliott contacted the Carlow People, who ran a story telling
local people that he would pay up to =A320,000 for large pieces of the
meteorite.

A second story a week later prompted the arrival of an anonymous
envelope containing earth and 13 stones, ones of which turned out to be

a meteorite. The lack of a customs declaration delayed the
parcel.

It took a third story in the paper, and the dismissal of some crank
calls, to flush out the person who found the fallen rocks.

First since 1865=20

The meteorites, totalling 220 grams in weight, are the first recovered
in Ireland since 1865. And they are the first fallen rocks found
anywhere in the British Isles since 1991.
<