[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation Feb 01-00

     I braved the sub-freezing temps last night for 2 hours of teff, between 3:00 and 5:00 A.M. local time.   The rates were not disapointing, with an equal mix of 8 SPO's both hours, plus one VIR that appeared near the very start of the session.
     Period One suffered from a line of hazy, transparent clouds that rolled through from 8:20-8:35UT.  They did not obstruct the view but dropped my LM's almost a full magnitude.  Thereafter skies cleared nicely for the rest of both periods.
     My primary purpose for getting out was to observe for any possible radiant in Bootes.  I plotted every meteor that seemed to be a possible candidate, with the exception of two, one being behind me somewhat, the other way off in my peripheral FOV.  I could not( and didn't) plot either of these with any confidence whatsoever.  Several of the other meteors I found unplottable also (given my limited plotting experience) but weren't Xi Bootid candidates, anyway.  Given the above, and the lousy accuracy I achieved in about 30% of those I did plot, my attempt at observing for the Xi-Bootids was quite inconclusive (of those plotted, none aligned very close to Bootes).
     I guess I am just too used to lining up meteors with known, pre-checked radiants with my cord -- something I feel I am more accurate doing at this time.  However, should the weather remain clear, I plan on another session Thursday morning, plots in hand.

OBSERVER:  Kim S. Youmans (YOUKI)  DATE:01/31--02/01-00
BEGIN: 07:47UT  END10:00UT  LOCATION:  Treutlen Co, Ga.
82. 24' 25" W;  32. 24' 45" N
METHOD: Tape    Elev 240 ft
Facing South
2 period, sky 0% obscured, No breaks

Period 1  7:47 - 08:52 UT  SPO(8) VIR(1)
Dead time =4 min  Teff = 1.02  F= 1.00
SolarLong. 311.779

Period 2  08:52 - 10:00 UT  SPO(8)
Dead time = 4 min  Teff = 1.07  F= 1.00
SolarLong. 311.826

Limiting Magnitudes
08:00 UT  (IMO 3)+6.30  (IMO 9)+6.61
08:31 UT  (IMO 3)+5.66  (IMO 9)+5.73
08:40 UT  (IMO 3)+5.79  (IMO 9)+6.31
09:00 UT  (IMO 3)+5.97  (IMO 9)+6.43
09:30 UT  (IMO 11)+6.13  (IMO 9)+6.64

Center FOV - Midperiod (UT)
Period 1  188x +20x
Period 2  200x +20x

Showers Observed
VIR(1)   158x   +16x
SPO(16)

Mag Distribution
VIR(1)                  +2(1)
SPO(16)     0(1) +1(6)  +2(3) +3(3) +4(1) +5(2)

Period 1 (Time UT, Shower, Mag, Speed)
01  07:51   VIR   +2  2
02  07:54   SPO   +2  4
03  07:58   SPO    0  4
04  08:07   SPO   +1  4  train
05  08:13   SPO   +1  4
06  08:17   SPO   +2  3
07  08:28   SPO   +1  2
08  08:41   SPO   +1  5  3 sec train
09  08:46   SPO   +5  3

Period 02(Time UT, Shower, Mag, Speed)
10  08:52   SPO   +1  2
11  09:00   SPO   +2  5  1 sec train
12  09:01   SPO   +3  4
13  09:13   SPO   +1  5
14  09:23   SPO   +5  2
15  09:39   SPO   +3  5
16  09:42   SPO   +4  3
17  09:22   SPO   +3  2

Remarks:Meteors 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 12, 14, and 17 were plotted.