[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Non-IMO Showers (was Re: (meteorobs) Feb 1/2 Meteor Observations From California)

Bob Lunsford's observing report mentions:
>TCE = Theta Centaurids, VIR = Virginids, XOR = Xi Bootids...

Bob, I couldn't find any reference information on the "TCEs" (Theta Centaurids)
either in the IMO working list or Gary Kronk's meteor calendar... The DMS List
mentions it, but their information seems a little sketchy. Obviously this shower
would be reported to IMO as a "SPOR", but kept in your local archive as "TCE":
but I was just curious as to how you decided to include them in your list of
showers to match your plots against?

Also, XOR is the Chi Orionids I think? I guess the Xi Bootids would be "XBO"?
This leads to another question: For non-IMO showers, who assigns three letter
acronyms, and how can name conflicts be avoided among the tens (or hundreds) of
potential streams in the literature? Thanks, Bob! As I begin to do more "Meteor
Winter" plotting, these questions are of real interest to me...

Lew

Follow-Ups: References: