[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: A Perfect Evening.

Lew and All,

Your response reminded me that I could easily see the Gegenschein last
night situated just east of central Cancer. In fact the Beehive cluster
was immersed in it. The zodiacal band was not prominent early in the
session but was later seen stretching from Scorpius through Virgo.

I would assume that CAN stood for Carinids although it looks like it
would be for the Cancrids. The "official" IMO designation for the Alpha
Carinids is ACA. I has since been dropped from the current IMO visual
list.

Lew Gramer wrote:

> Congratulations on the Gegenschein sighting, Mike! Next time you're up on
> Haleakala, I'd be interested to hear if you catch the Zodiacal Band as well.
>
> BTW, I was curious what shower acronym "CAN" stood for? (This goes back to
> a question I asked Bob in another post today, about who assigns these acro-
> nyms for some of the more obscure minor showers.) I know there is a "Delta
> Velid" shower listed on the DMS site, which is the "DVE" I guess. Does CAN
> refer to the "alpha Carinids" - maybe they're also known as the Canopids??
>
> Thanks, Mike!
> Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: