[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Non-IMO Showers

Lew and All,

The Theta Centaurids were on the original IMO visual working list. I
keep a look for all showers included on the current IMO and DMS visual
working list. Many of the DMS showers have been recently studied by
experienced observers in both the Netherlands and Australia and the most
active candidates are included in Peter Jenniskens's study of annual
meteor activity. Naturally these meteors are reported to the IMO as
sporadic with a note of their possible associations.

As for who who assigns the three letter acronyms, Rainer Arlt is the
acronym master for the IMO but as his counterpart in the AMS (visual
program coordinator) I'm sure he is open to a few suggestions from me.
The DMS has separate shower designations.

Opps! I looks like I goofed for the Xi Bootids as XBO is their suggested
designation. That's what sleep deprivation will do to ya!

Clear Skies!

Bob

Lew Gramer wrote:

> Bob Lunsford's observing report mentions:
> >TCE = Theta Centaurids, VIR = Virginids, XOR = Xi Bootids...
>
> Bob, I couldn't find any reference information on the "TCEs" (Theta Centaurids)
> either in the IMO working list or Gary Kronk's meteor calendar... The DMS List
> mentions it, but their information seems a little sketchy. Obviously this shower
> would be reported to IMO as a "SPOR", but kept in your local archive as "TCE":
> but I was just curious as to how you decided to include them in your list of
> showers to match your plots against?
>
> Also, XOR is the Chi Orionids I think? I guess the Xi Bootids would be "XBO"?
> This leads to another question: For non-IMO showers, who assigns three letter
> acronyms, and how can name conflicts be avoided among the tens (or hundreds) of
> potential streams in the literature? Thanks, Bob! As I begin to do more "Meteor
> Winter" plotting, these questions are of real interest to me...
>
> Lew

Follow-Ups: References: