[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: A Perfect Evening.

Robert; I thought you had gone to local mountains in the vicinity of San Diego
last night.  I went to the local mountains here but gave up  after a short time
because of the bad seeing.  I have not been to a site that I could have seen the
Gegenshein since I don't know when.  When we observed the Geminids at Joshua Tree
in December the Gegenshein should have been high enough to be easily seen.  I
didn't notice it then.  Or am I way off in my thinking.  Robert G.

Robert Lunsford wrote:

> Lew and All,
>
> Your response reminded me that I could easily see the Gegenschein last
> night situated just east of central Cancer. In fact the Beehive cluster
> was immersed in it. The zodiacal band was not prominent early in the
> session but was later seen stretching from Scorpius through Virgo.
>
> I would assume that CAN stood for Carinids although it looks like it
> would be for the Cancrids. The "official" IMO designation for the Alpha
> Carinids is ACA. I has since been dropped from the current IMO visual
> list.
>
> Lew Gramer wrote:
> >
> > Congratulations on the Gegenschein sighting, Mike! Next time you're up on
> > Haleakala, I'd be interested to hear if you catch the Zodiacal Band as well.
> >
> > BTW, I was curious what shower acronym "CAN" stood for? (This goes back to
> > a question I asked Bob in another post today, about who assigns these acro-
> > nyms for some of the more obscure minor showers.) I know there is a "Delta
> > Velid" shower listed on the DMS site, which is the "DVE" I guess. Does CAN
> > refer to the "alpha Carinids" - maybe they're also known as the Canopids??
> >
> > Thanks, Mike!
> > Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: