[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tropical LMs? (was Re: (meteorobs) Re: Zodiacal light)

Jim Bedient wrote:

> At 05:18 PM 2/2/00 -0500, Lew wrote:
> >
> >Jim, how do your LMs from Haleakala and Mauna Kea compare with those you
> >were used to recording from the very darkest sites on the mainland before?
> >

> They are pretty comparable.  I have always wondered at this too, but not
> enough to really research it!  In Hawaii, I have always typically observed
> at sea level, or close to it, and attributed any less-than-ideal conditions
> there to moisture, salt spray, etc.  You can still find an almost-decent
> sky on the northwest corner of Oahu, despite the city lights of Honolulu.

I guess perceptions of sky quality are relative. I have compared many
sites in Hawaii. I would rate them in the following order for visual
observing quality (highest to lowest):

Mauna Kea (14000')
Haleakala summit (10000')
Hale Pohaku (9000')
Haleakala Hosmer (7000')
Haiku (my house)
Dillingham (NW Oahu)

Generally the conditions improve with altitude, notwithstanding the
commonly held perception that O2 deprivation destroys your LM. Even
though an extremely dark site near sea level is pretty competitive,
especially temperature-wise.

> You can get really excellent conditions on the west end (the dry end) of
> Molokai, at a few hundred feet above sea level.

Molokai may be a good place. I have never tried it, however, since
(almost) nobody lives there, any observing session will cost you at
least $100 for the interisland flight and rent-a-wreck.

Follow-Ups: References: