[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Non-IMO Showers

I agree with Jim, we need to agree upon the names of showers and their
abbreviations.  IAU Commission 22 is the obvious vehicle, perhaps
it's pro-am committee.  Have the AMOR radar guys in Christchurch
cataslogued their orbits into showers?  The next IAU is this summer
(if such a thing exists in Manchester).  So couldn't we compile a list
of multi-named showers we know about, and ask for a resolution.

Of course, having an IAU standard doesn't prevent people from using the
old names, just like the cgs units, B1950 co-ordinates, jumbled dates
(cf. WGN) etc.

Jim Bedient wrote:
> shower names and acronyms.  The variable star community works from a
> standard set of constellation abbreviations, and a standardized system for

The constellation abbreviations are IAU standards irrespective of
variable stars, or do the VS community have other abbreviations?

> naming new variables, making it fairly easy to discuss individual stars and
> search the literature for info on a given star, etc.  Perhaps we should
> join them in a similar system for naming meteor showers.

S23 Tau doesn't have that ring of say zeta-Taurids.  The Greek letters
are more memorable than the numbers.  Shame that the second letter has
to be further down the alphabet than the first.

Malcolm