[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V3 #283

>Thus it would seem that there is simply more air over tropical
>regions to have to view through. terry

>Are airmasses in fact significantly different in the two regions, Terry?
>That is fascinating: I'd always assumed that height was greater over the
>Tropics but that average density was correspondingly less??

>Lew

Hi Lew;
I'm just going by the info provided in the Audubon Society's "Field Guide To
North American Weather".  I'm not a meteorologist. I had always heard that
centrifugal force caused the atmosphere to "bulge" at the equator, which
might seem to lead to lower density, but being fluid, maybe it isn't less
dense, just bulged? Where's Joe Rao when you need him?  ;-)