[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: A Perfect Evening.

Jonny,

The Beehive is an open cluster located in the constellation of Cancer.
This area of the sky lies in the east at dusk. The Beehive, Prasepe, or
M44 is an easy naked eye cluster that appears to look like a small cloud
to the naked eye. With binoculars or a telescope many hundreds of stars
are revealed.

Bootes is a large constellation that is visible in the northeastern sky
after midnight. It is easiest to find by looking for the brightest star
in this region of the sky at this time. This star is Arcturus, one of
the brightest stars in the entire sky. It is difficult to miss due to
its brightness and distinct yellow-orange color.

The possible shower you mention is the Xi Bootids. It is not certain
that this shower really exists as it only has been seen the last two
years. We keep mentioning it so that observers can go out and help us
try to verify any activity from this region. The Xi Bootid radiant is
close to Arcturus.

I hope this helps!

Bob Lunsford