[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observation Report 1/31/00|1/32/00

Mark Davis wrote:
> True..dot it's not Jan. 01, but neither is it Jan. 32 or Feb. 0. My assumption

Oh but it *is*.  That's my point.  O is 1 minus 1, and 32 is 31 plus 1.
The sequence continues logically.  Yes in common usage/convention we
assign these days to the adjacent month.  However in common usage people
don't use double dates.  Even times in the small hours are given the
previous evening's date, cf. television schedules.  In astronomy the
convention is to extend the month a day either way.

Malcolm