[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) FIREBALL OVER MAUI?

exceld77 wrote:

> Were the remaining 10% of the sky clear? Perhaps, looking at the effects
> on the stars there, you could guestimate the magnitude?
>
> Clear skies!
>
> Jure A.

The sky was almost completely overcast, with just a few "holes" through
which I could see some stars. I believe the "flickering" effect of the
light I saw reflected off the ground was due to the motion of the meteor
as it passed by differing densities of cloud and the cloud "holes". The
magnitude may have been fainter than -16, but the light seemed brighter
than I have ever seen from moonlight, hence it could not have been much
less than -12 or -13.

In any case, the meteor must have been a short path, because the
direction of the light and my shadow, never changed significantly. Given
the location, NNE of Virgo, it may possibly have been a VIR.

Surprisingly, I have not been able to find many other reports. Only one
person emailed me with a "possible" sighting, but he was not in a
position to verify it. The meteor would have been best visible from a
very remote part of the Hawaii Island chain, E of Maui and N of the Big
Island. Those coastal areas are very lightly populated.

Mike.